Civil Weddings in Rethymno
The St. Lazaros Chapel (14 Patelarou st.) located in the Rethymno old Town
What is required for foreigners to commit to Civil Marriage:
1. Marriage License from the country specific, confirming that the person concerned has no impediment to get married and all the mandatory information of the intended spouse is stated.
For citizens from Canada, Hungary, Estonia, France, U.S.A., Russia and Bulgaria confirmation that they have no impediment to get married is needed from their Consulate in Greece, certified by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs and translated into Greek (no validation is required for French and Estonian Consulate).
2. Birth Certificate
3. A residence permit or VISA whose validity period has not expired (not required for E.U. citizens).
4. A valid passport or identity card for citizens members of the E.U.
• Certificates issued in countries that have signed the Hague Convention should bear an apostille of the Hague Convention (APOSTILLE) by the Foreign authority, on the original foreign document and not in translation. Certificates issued in Austria, France, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Turkey, are accepted without APOSTILLE stamp.
• Certificates issued in countries which have signed the Hague Convention, but Greece has raised objections to their membership (e.g. Albania, Georgia), should bear legalization of the Greek consular authorities abroad for the genuineness of the signature of the foreign authorities. The validation in this case is done on the original and not a photocopy.
• Certificates issued in countries that have not signed the Hague Convention should bear legalization of Greek consular authorities abroad or the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs as to the authenticity of the signature of the foreign authorities. The validation in this case is done on the original and not a photocopy.
Marriage licenses that have been issued in accordance to the Munich Convention 05.09.1980 (CERTIFICAT DE CAPACITE MATRIMONIALE) from the following countries: Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey and Moldova are accepted without validation.
Official translation is considered:
1. From the Translation Service of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Athens).
2.From an authorized permanent civil servant of the corresponding Greek consular authority of the country issuing the certificate.
3.From a Greek lawyer who certifies that he has sufficient knowledge of the language from which he translated from.
4. From a professional translator certified by the Ionian University.
To commit a civil marriage, the couple must submit a request to the Municipality of Rethymnon, no later than three working days before the wedding (until 12:30). On the same day they should submit the necessary documents and pay the corresponding amount:
1. In the Town Hall
• Weekdays 100,00 €
• Weekend or Public Holidays 120,00 €
2. The St. Lazarus Chapel.
• Weekdays 150,00 €
• Weekend or Public Holidays 180,00 €
3. In other public spaces
• Weekdays 300,00 €
• Weekend or Public Holidays 400,00 €
During the marriage, each person about to be married should be accompanied by a witness, who must be an adult. The witnesses may be relatives and they have to carry their identity card or passport with them.
For further details contact: